The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

Filed under Showcase

Home of the Free Because of the Brave – BLHS Honors Our Veterans with Annual Breakfast

It was with great pleasure that Bishop Lynch High School welcomed distinguished guests on Wednesday, November 8th, gathering in honor of Veterans Day. As a school community, the student-body, alumni, parents, faculty and staff took a moment to pause and honor those men and women who have so selflessly served in our armed forces.

When Francis Scott Key wrote the “Star Spangled Banner” almost 200 years ago, he called America “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” Those words are as true today as they were then. Throughout our Nation’s history, American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coastguardsmen have bravely answered the call to defend our freedom, to aid our friends and allies, and to turn back aggressors.

It was a privilege to say “thank you” to all of America’s Veterans, to let them know they are appreciated for their selfless service. The price of freedom is high, we cannot afford to forget those willing to pay it.

Veterans Day speakers Officers Phoebe and Kevin Sisk gave an astounding presentation to the Bishop Lynch community! Parents of junior Elijah and freshman Sarah Katherine, the Sisks served on active duty as Marine Officers from 1988 through 1992 – which included the first Gulf War.

Mrs. Sisk had the honor and privilege of being selected to serve on (then) Brigadier General Krulak’s staff, and was the youngest officer on his team. Gen. Krulak would later become the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Mr. Sisk served with the 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion and 2nd Marine Division, and his “claim to fame” is that his Commanding Officer, a Naval Academy graduate, was part of Oliver North’s wedding party.

Phoebe grew up in Ft. Worth and Kevin in El Paso. Both graduated from Austin College in 1988, they each have master’s degrees – Phoebe’s from Boston University and Kevin from Southern Methodist University.

Like their fellow service members, Mr. and Mrs. Sisk possesses courage, pride, determination, selflessness, dedication to duty and integrity – all the qualities endured to serve a cause larger than one’s self.

On behalf of the Bishop Lynch Student Council, special appreciation is extended to Officers Phoebe and Kevin Sisk, BL President Chris Rebuck, Principal Dr. Chad Riley, Director of Student Activities Kaitlyn Mannari, Hillary Cox and the Sage Dining Staff, Mrs. Kathy Leos and the Bishop Lynch Choirs, Mr. Andrew Baletti and the Bishop Lynch Band and the BL faculty and staff in attendance. Most importantly, thank you to all of our Veterans; those who were able to attend today and those who could not. We are truly honored by your service to our great country!