The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

Filed under Showcase

BLHS to Honor 2017 Distinguished Alumni of the Year at Annual Homecoming Celebrations

Since 1990, the Bishop Lynch Alumni Association has recognized those graduates who have best exemplified the Bishop Lynch tradition and Dominican heritage of service to the community.  Each honoree should show commitment to the school and its mission, and should serve as a model to all of what Christ has called us to become.

The criteria for the Alumna/Alumnus of the Year Award include excellence in the following areas: service to Bishop Lynch High School, service to the community and success in his or her chosen field. Please join us in congratulating this year’s three honorees: Sandy Sellers Stansbury ’82, Kevin Bailey ’00 and Justin Wrenn ’05!

SANDY SELLERS STANSBURY, CLASS OF 1982

AOY 2017-Stansbury, Sandy Sellers '82

Sandy Sellers Stansbury from the Class of 1982 was a cheerleader and member of the choir at Bishop Lynch.  Sandy graduated from Texas A&M University in 1986 with a BBA double majoring in Accounting & Finance.  Out of college she earned her CPA and worked for Touche Ross & Co (now Deloitte) for four years, then The Child Care Group as the Controller for eight years and is back working in public accounting with Priolo and Associates, PC.

Sandy and her husband of 30 years, Shannon, have four children – Courtney (Class of 2008), Ashley (Class of 2012), Ryan (Class of 2015) and Sydney (Class of 2018). For the past 22 years, she has been a Girl Scout leader for all three of her daughters’ troops and during that time has assisted 19 girls in obtaining their Girl Scout Gold Award.

At St. Thomas Aquinas, Sandy was active in many organizations (Mothers’ Association, Parents’ Association, Carnival, Auction, Vacation Bible School, Our Lady’s Altar Society, Parish Finance and Endowment Fund).  At Bishop Lynch, Sandy is very active with the Auction having chaired the committee for two years. She is also involved with other Advancement activities, including serving on the Capital Campaign and Annual Fund committees and as a Class Agent. She was a founding member of Parents of Alumni and Friar Friends and is still involved with both groups. Sandy also enjoys working in the Lynch Locker several days a month.

KEVIN BAILEY, CLASS OF 2000

AOY 2017-Bailey, Kevin '00

Kevin Bailey is currently the Director of Business Development and Partnerships at CommonBond.co in New York. Before moving to New York, Kevin was a Senior Policy Advisor at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, where he advised senior officials on banking and financial services, commodities finance, merchant banking, and capital formation.  In addition, Kevin served as a staff lead for the President’s Council on Jobs & Competitiveness at the White House, and developed policy recommendations to the President on clean energy, foreign direct investment, and business startup initiatives, which contributed to the JOBS Act legislation that was signed by the president in April 2012.

Prior to joining the Treasury Department, Kevin served in the White House as Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff in the Office of the Vice President, and held the position of Budget & Financial Strategy Director for Obama for America in 2008. Kevin began his career in a number of commercial roles with BP Global Oil Trading in Chicago and Houston. These included work within physical energy commodities, swaps and futures trading, derivatives sales trading, and business development transactions in North & South America and Europe.

In addition to his professional activities, Kevin serves as an Ambassador for the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit Washington Area Community Investment Fund in the District of Columbia.

Kevin is a graduate of Rice University and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.  He serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Rice Alumni and has volunteered as co-chair for numerous campaigns for Rice University and the University of Chicago.

JUSTIN WREN, CLASS OF 2005

AOY 2017-Wren, Justin 05

Justin Wren is a well-known mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, Christian speaker, author and founder of the Fight for the Forgotten initiative. His career in the UFC was jumpstarted when he appeared on the hit reality series “The Ultimate Fighter” on Spike TV. That appearance landed him a UFC contract, where he excelled as a professional athlete. His current record is 12-2.

Despite his success in the UFC, Wren battled depression and drug addiction early in his career. After discovering his faith, Wren stopped using drugs and temporarily stepped away from MMA fighting to discover God’s purpose for his life.

During this time, Wren discovered the Mbuti Pygmies in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Wren calls the Pygmies the “most bullied people on earth.” Not only are they enslaved, but they are also cannibalized by their oppressors.

Justin spent over a year living among the Pygmies, sleeping on the jungle floor and sharing in their suffering. After experiencing their pain, he knew he could not turn his back on his Pygmy family.

In 2012, he founded Fight for the Forgotten, an initiative that works to provide land, clean water and sustainable farming to the Mbuti Pygmies. Through partnerships with Water4 and Shalom University, the organization has provided over 3,000 acres of land to the Pygmies, allowing them to escape slavery. They have also provided 68 water wells and employ 32 people from the local community in Congo (20 full-time and 12 part-time).

In 2015, Wren returned to MMA, this time fighting to bring awareness to his Pygmy family. His book “Fight for the Forgotten” released in September 2015 and details his journey from addiction to life-changing ministry in the Congo.

In 2017, Justin was awarded the prestigious Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete of the Year Award.  This award was established to honor 2 athletes, one male and one female, which have exhibited or demonstrated excellence in their sport and in life.  Justin joins the ranks of other premier athletes that have won this award, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Nancy Kerrigan to name a few!

He and his wife Emily reside in Oklahoma City, OK.

Congratulations and thank you to these three inspiring individuals who have truly lived out the mission of what a Bishop Lynch education calls its students to do!

Recipients of the Alumnus of the Year Award include:

• 1990 – David Roffino ’70
• 1991 – Cecelia Birkenback Reed ’69
• 1992 – Paul Rottman ’75
• 1993 – Joe Longoria ’77
• 1995 – Kit Hoolan Sawyer ’77
• 1996 – Dan O’Connell ’70
• 1997 – Brian Teichman ’75
• 1998 – Mike Salerno ’72
• 1999 – Terry Miller May ’74
• 2000 – John Farrell ’75
• 2001 – Jim Hodges ’73
• 2002 – John Nelka, Jr. ’70
• 2003 – Maurice Keane ’81 and Kevin Keane ’83
• 2004 – Curtis Jaska ’73
• 2005 – Kathleen Farrell Blaydes ’71
• 2006 – Mary Sansone Schaar ’78
• 2007 – Dennis Doughty ’74
• 2008 – Bishop Michael Duca ’70
• 2009 – Jim Rager ’67
• 2010 – Lisa Gillock Matthews ’78
• 2011 – Steve Malouf ’72
• 2012 – Jim McIngvale ’69
• 2013 – Peggy Hoffman ’86, Walter “Wally” Stock ’66, Andy Zihlman ’72
• 2014 – Darlene Doxey Ellison ’84, David Campisi ’87, James McIntyre ’87
• 2015 – Gene Schaefers ’77 and Stephen Arata ’84
• 2016 – Monica Rochester ’83, Jeff Brown ’88 and Nick Martin ’01
• 2017 – Sandy Sellers Stansbury ’82, Kevin Bailey ’00 and Justin Wren ’05

1 Comment

One Response to “BLHS to Honor 2017 Distinguished Alumni of the Year at Annual Homecoming Celebrations”

1. Rev.Deninah Goodwin on October 11th, 2017 10:23 pm

Congratulations, and we say as Jesus said,” STILL THE BEST IS YET TO COME”, Be Steadfast,Family of Chris Luke, Freshman 2017

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.