The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

Filed under News, Uncategorized

Ms. Beth Burau named Notre Dame Alumni Association’s 2017 Outstanding Educator Award winner

Congratulations to Ms. Beth Burau for being named Notre Dame Alumni Association’s 2017 Outstanding Educator Award winner.

The Alumni Association has selected Beth Burau ’00, ’02 M.Ed as the winner of the 2017 Outstanding Educator Award.

Burau’s career in education began at the St. Mary of Carmel Catholic School in Dallas, where she worked through the ACE program upon graduation from Notre Dame. Since 2003, she has taught German, English, and a multitude of other subjects at the Bishop Lynch School in Dallas. Many former students have written the school to share the ways that “Frau Burau” has positively influenced them, in some cases crediting her as the inspiration to pursue careers in education.

In addition to touching the lives of many students throughout her 17 years as a teacher, Burau has fulfilled her passion for Catholic education as the co-founder and former chair of the Dallas ACE Advocates, an organization that works to strengthen Catholic schools in the community. She has further spread her knowledge and love of teaching by contributing to numerous workshops, local and national conferences, and online and print publications.

For her efforts, Bureau was honored by the Notre Dame Club of Dallas as their 2017 Outstanding Teacher of the Year. She will be recognized again when she is presented with the Notre Dame Alumni Association’s Outstanding Educator Award at the Excellence in Teaching Conference on campus on October 14.

“It a blessing to be part of this noble profession, this vocation, of teaching,” Burau said. “Even with a lesson plan in hand, each day is an unexpected adventure as I strive to instill in my students the values of lifelong learning, academic excellence, and social justice. My first teachers, my parents Vince and Linda and my brother Daniel, taught me and continue to teach me by living those core values. It is thanks to my elementary, middle, and high school teachers, who nurtured my love of learning, that I found myself at the University of Notre Dame. My time at Notre Dame and in the ACE program was formative and life-changing. It made this life-long learner a life-long teacher. Thank you; I am humbled and honored to receive this award.”