The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

#FriarFocus: Student Spotlights – Summer Edition – Katie Shore

We’ve started a new column on The Friar Feed, devoted to giving well-deserved “shout outs” to our students! Although the 2017-2018 school year hasn’t even begun, our Friars have been keeping themselves busy learning lessons outside the classroom this summer … and we thought we’d share a few!

“The Nicaraguan people taught me that our faith is so important and more than just a list of rules in an ancient book: it’s about living like Christ did and loving others and caring for them no matter their circumstances, their flaws or their appearance.”

In this edition, of #FriarFocus: Student Spotlights – Summer Edition, we spoke with rising senior Katie Shore about her experience during the June Diocesan Mission Trip to Nicaragua.

Katie, a graduate of St. Patrick Catholic School, is involved in a number of extracurricular clubs and organizations at Bishop Lynch, including Mock Trial (Captain), Bishop Lynch Ambassadors (Board Member), Mu Alpha Theta (Vice President), Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society (President), National English Honor Society (Leyden Lecture Liaison), TAPPS Academic Team (Debate and Original Oratory) and National Honor Society … just to name a few!

Here’s what Katie had to tell us about her experience in Nicaragua …

Tell us about your summer adventure?

I can’t stop talking about the Mission Trip I attended (through the Diocese of Dallas) with nine other Bishop Lynch students. God blessed me with the opportunity to spend ten days in Nicaragua and see what life is like for those who don’t nearly have as much as we do here in the United States. Throughout the ten days, I had the honor of meeting so many kind, loving and generous people that welcomed my fellow missionaries and me. We often take our Catholic faith for granted and the fact that we can practice our faith and go to Mass whenever we want doesn’t strike us as anything special. The Nicaraguan people taught me that our faith is so important and more than just a list of rules in an ancient book: it’s about living like Christ did and loving others and caring for them no matter their circumstances, their flaws or their appearance.

Tell us about the other students/faculty who were with you on this journey?

Nine other students and seven chaperones from BL traveled along with me to Nicaragua. The students were Luke Barrington, Marifer Fernández, Katie Hadden, Maggie O’Connor, Amy Olvera, Elise Savant, Claire Shelton, Angela Torres and Molly Vaudry.  Chaperones included Nurse Patty Barton, Mrs. Annette Butler, Mr. David Cogswell, Ms. Allison Elliott, Ms. Kaitlyn Mannari, Deacon Oscar Miranda and Mr. Diego Morillo.

How would you describe your experience?

Throughout a majority of the trip, I struggled with the idea of accepting God’s plans for me rather than relying on the plans I had formulated for myself. One of the chaperones told me this quote, and it resonated with me throughout the trip: “Let go and let God.”

What did you learn through your experience?

Those who have the least actually have the most. Our lives are about so much more than money and success. We must live to get to Heaven and can only do that if we have hearts – and not wallets – of gold. I have learned to accept God’s plans for me and that he loves me and wants me to develop a relationship with him regardless of how unworthy I may feel.