The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

#FriarFocus: Class of 2017 Valedictorian – Lani Rose DuFresne

Earning the highest academic honor in a very competitive class is no small feat, but what’s even more impressive is that Class of 2017 Valedictorian – Lani DuFresne – did so while managing an extensive extra-curricular schedule all at the same time!

Lani, daughter of Shaun and Christine DuFresne, came to Bishop Lynch High School after graduating from Christ the King School in Dallas. During high school, she was active in National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National Science Honor Society, Rho Kappa History Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, and the Students Against Destructive Decisions Club. Lani was also on the board of the Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society and the Multicultural Club and was recognized as a National Merit Finalist and an AP Scholar with Distinction. She credits her experiences at Bishop Lynch for changing her as a person; helping her to discover interests and talents she never knew she had. During her years at BL, Lani excelled academically under the expert guidance of her teachers, made lifelong friends and memories, and said she couldn’t have asked for a better transition to college.

In addition to her academic interests at Bishop Lynch, Lani also participated in the visual arts programs. During her junior and senior years, she competed in the TAPPS state tournament in both painting and advanced math. Lani will continue her education at Rice University, majoring in Ecological and Evolutionary Biology.

A little more about Lani … in her own words: 

• What are you most looking forward to in college? Getting to choose what classes I take and learning on my own schedule
  • What’s the best advice you’ve received and from whom? My parents always tell me not to judge myself by grades or test scores, but by how hard I work and whether I’ve done my best.
  • If your high school mascot fought your college mascot, who would win? The Rice Owls (we might have to disagree with her answer :)!)
  • What will you miss most about your hometown? The convenience, excitement and the non-stop action of living in a big city
  • What was the greatest lesson you learned at Bishop Lynch High School? That academic, artistic, humanitarian and athletic talents are equally important and all have a place in society
  • What will you miss most about Bishop Lynch? Having classes with all my friends
  • Who was the most influential teacher to you and why? Ms. Wainwright – she helped inspire my love of biology and being in her class really taught me to enjoy learning
  • What’s the best advice you would give to underclassmen? Keep all your deadlines for long-term projects and non-academic activities written down in a place you’ll see them regularly
  • What’s the one high school memory you’ll never forget? My senior prom