The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

Student Spotlight: Girl Scout Gold Award, Maggie O’Connor and Mabry Webb

A number of Bishop Lynch High School Girl Scouts from Troops 1562, 2432 and 1433 have been working extremely hard on their Gold Award projects. Each week, we will cast the spotlight on one of these stellar young ladies and recognize them for their incredible effort by letting them tell their story.

“Dallas Catholic Charities provides a wide range of services to the community. One area of services they provide focuses on the needs of pregnant women and families wanting to adopt children. However, there is a lack of awareness in the community about these services. The goal of my project was to raise awareness of the opportunities available and create a ripple effect whereby the people I spoke to will continue the message. To raise complete awareness about Dallas Catholic Charities’ Pregnancy and Adoption Services, I met with representatives that work on both sides of the equation, those that work with young women as well as those that minister to families. My team and I developed a presentation that I delivered at these meetings which will be used in future fundraising efforts and will be a source of information for those searching for options.” — Maggie O’Connor, Junior

“St. Phillip and St. Augustine Academy is an underserved school in the Diocese of Dallas. My project is to establish a science fair program to challenge the bright young minds at SPSA. The students participate in an after-school science fair club in which they engage unique critical thinking skills. I created a “How-To” manual to assist the students throughout the stages of their projects. In the spring, the students will compete against each other in a school science fair in which judges evaluate their projects and the knowledge they have gained throughout the program.” — Mabry Webb, Junior