The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

Bishop Lynch Honors Veterans at Annual Veterans Day Breakfast

It was with great pleasure that Bishop Lynch High School welcomed distinguished guests on Wednesday, November 9, gathering in honor of Veterans Day. As a school-community, the student-body, alumni, parents, faculty and staff took a moment to pause and honor those men and women who have so selflessly served in our armed forces.

When Francis Scott Key wrote the “Star Spangled Banner” almost 200 years ago, he called America “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” Those words are as true today as they were then. Throughout our Nation’s history, American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coastguardsmen have bravely answered the call to defend our freedom, to aid our friends and allies, and to turn back aggressors.

It was a privilege to say “thank you” to all of America’s Veterans, to let them know they are appreciated for their selfless service. The price of freedom is high, we cannot afford to forget those willing to pay it.

Veterans Day speaker Colonel Steve Ramos (Bishop Lynch High School Class of 1985) gave an astounding presentation to the Bishop Lynch community. COL Ramos and his wife Nikki are parents to Emily (BL Class of 2015), Jackson (BL Class of 2018) and John, an 8th grader at St. Thomas.

COL Ramos’ list of achievements is quite extensive. COL Ramos graduated from The Citadel in 1989 and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps. He served as the Chairman of the District 6A Grievance Committee for the State Bar of Texas.

In 1992, he graduated from St. Mary’s School of Law, and served as a lawyer and infantry officer in the Marine Corps. He was named to the Commanding General’s List upon graduation in 1993. In 1998, COL Ramos graduated the Reserve Infantry Officer Course.

COL Ramos was activated in 2004 and deployed to Iraq where he participated in the 2nd Battle of Fallujah. COL Ramos’s was honored for his service to our country with awards including three Meritorious Service Medals and the Combat Action Ribbon. After completion of his tour, he went on to become a graduate of the Marine Corps Command & Staff College, and was a 2010 graduate with honors from the Naval War College.

It was clear that like his fellow service members, Colonel Ramos possesses courage, pride, determination, selflessness, dedication to duty and integrity – all the qualities needed to serve a cause larger than one’s self.

On behalf of the Bishop Lynch Student Council and Heroes of the Heart club, special appreciation is extended to Colonel Ramos, BL President Chris Rebuck, Principal Mrs. Evelyn Grubbs, Hillary Cox and the Sage Dining Staff, Mrs. Kathy Leos and the Bishop Lynch Choirs, Mr. Mickey Owens and the Bishop Lynch Band and the BL faculty and staff in attendance. And, most importantly, thank you to all of our Veterans; those who were able to attend today and those who could not. We are truly honored by your service to our country.

img_9674 img_9682 img_9690 img_9694 img_9695 img_9698 img_9705 img_9720 img_9726 img_9728 img_9742 img_9736small