The student news site of Bishop Lynch High School

The Friar Feed

#FriarFocus: Class of 2017 Salutatorian – Ben Walter

Prom court. Tennis captain. NHS president. Eucharistic Minister. Missionary. These are just a few of the many titles that could be used to describe Class of 2017 Salutatorian, Ben Walter.

“Bishop Lynch provided endless opportunities for me to achieve nearly anything I wanted,” explained Walter. “I excelled academically while simultaneously succeeding in athletics and still having time to spend with friends. I could not have asked for a better place for me to grow academically, socially and spiritually, and I am grateful for all the wisdom I will take with me to the next steps of my life.”

Ben Walter, son of Brian ’81 and Karen, is a second generation Friar who came from St. Thomas Aquinas elementary school in Dallas. He was a four-year member of the Bishop Lynch Tennis team, going to state his junior and senior year and being named captain his senior year. Ben was involved in many extra-curricular activities at BL including the Multicultural Club, where he served as Vice President for three years; the National Honor Society, where he served as President his senior year; the National Science Honor Society, where he served as Historian his junior and senior year; Mu Alpha Theta, where he was Vice President his senior year; the National Spanish Honor Society, the National English Honor Society, Rho Kappa, the Pro-Life Club, as well as being a senior board member for the Bishop Lynch Ambassadors. Ben is also a Eucharistic Minister and regularly attends Mass at his parish, St. Thomas Aquinas.

Ben traveled with Bishop Lynch High School, both on the cultural immersion trip to Spain and France his freshman year, as well as the annual Diocesan Mission Trip to Nicaragua the summer before his senior year. Ben was also awarded a gold medal for his success on the National Spanish Exam his sophomore and junior years, received a silver medal his senior year and is an AP Scholar with Distinction. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis and spending time at his family’s ranch in north Texas. Ben will continue his education at The University of Notre Dame (joining his two older sisters, Kimberly ’15 and Whitney ’16) where he will major in Science-Business.

A little more about Ben … in his own words: 

• What are you most looking forward to in college? New challenges that will increase my ability to succeed in my future career …
  • What’s the best advice you’ve received and from whom? My two older sisters told me going into high school that I needed to work hard from beginning to end in order to choose the future I wanted.
  • What will you miss most about your hometown? Mexican food and my family!
  • What was the greatest lesson you learned at Bishop Lynch High School? You can achieve anything if you have the drive to succeed and are willing to work hard for it.
  • What will you miss most about Bishop Lynch? All my friends and the BL family built through athletic, academic and spiritual experiences.
  • Who was the most influential teacher to you and why? Sister Cecilia, who gave me the tools for success in science, which will be incredibly valuable to me going into college.
  • What’s the best advice you would give to underclassmen? Don’t wait until your junior and senior year to start building up your resume. Make hard work a habit as an underclassman and you will thank yourself moving forward.
  • What’s the one high school memory you’ll never forget? When the opponent missed the pass on the last play of the game and our football team won state!